Summary of Contents
- 1 What to look for when buying the best colored pencil?
- 1.1 Coloring pencils best?
- 1.2 Best quality colored pencils?
- 1.3 Best soft colored pencils?
- 1.4 Best type of colored pencils binder
- 1.5 Different colored pencils?
- 1.6 Best colored pencils for portraits or class work?
- 1.7 High pigment colored pencils?
- 1.8 Best colored pencils brand
- 1.9 Best budget colored pencils?
- 2 Our Recommend Top 5 best colored pencil reviews
- 3 Best prismacolor pencils review soft core 72 count
- 4 Best colored pencils for coloring books – Prismacolor best colored pencils for adults
- 5 Best colored pencils for artists – Prismacolor scholar colored pencils review
- 6 Best drawing pencils – Derwent colored pencils review
- 7 Best watercolor pencils – Sargent art colored pencils review
Are you in need of the best colored pencil at the moment? Look no further as our intricate review will support you find it. The best colored pencil can make the work of an artist to be more lively and real. Since there are so many options to choose from, many beginners and pro artists find it hard to select the best. This is because they vary in shape, color, size, durability and quality. Also, not all colored pencils will perform certain roles well as they are created for specified uses. Some are good for use on canvas, while others on paper. The binding material used as well varies from one colored pencil to another as they might be wax-based or oil-based.
Before you commence searching for the best colored pencil, be well informed on what will work best for you and your practice. With all these varying factors, choosing the best will mean a lot to your art work.
What to look for when buying the best colored pencil?
Despite choosing the best colored pencil being a daunting task, you shouldn’t panic at all as we are going to make this process very easier than you thought. Our panel sat down and conducted a broad research which was able to come up with some useful information that you need to know before getting your desired colored pencil. They spoke to several artists, viewed online reviews and went through previous customer responses before narrowing down to the information we are about to discuss with you below. Just as you already know, there are several brands to pick from and they as well vary in prices. Some have great reputations and are well know all-over. You only need to know some few facts about colored pencils in order for you to make a good choice within your needs and budget.
Coloring pencils best?
Do you’ve to try out several brands of colored pencils before knowing which one is the best for your job? Whether you are an artist, student or just draw and color for fun, acquiring the best colored pencil for your needs shouldn’t be a daunting task at all. Read the features below to enable you easily identify a colored pencil that will give you results that are not only pleasing but excellent. These are as below.
Best quality colored pencils?
Brightness of color – the best colored pencil should be in a position to offer you great brightness as you color a drawing or empty page. If the color is very bright, it will give a wonderful vibrancy. Dull colors will make your work to be boring and less lively which is not very appealing to the eye. Bright colors attract the eye from a distance and this can draw many people to your piece of work easily when compared to dull colors.
Durability – make sure you acquire a colored pencil that is strong and durable. Different colored pencils are made with different materials. In most cases, the lead is enclosed with a wooden body which is smooth and long lasting.
Best soft colored pencils?
Quality of the lead – this is one of the most important parts of the colored pencil. Since the lead is the one that will color your drawings or art, it needs to be of a high quality. The lead can further be subdivided as being soft or strong. Depending on your purpose, you may need a strong or soft lead. In most cases, people prefer a strong lead that gives them full control as they color.
Related: Best Fountain Pen Reviews – Top best fountain pen for the money
Smoothness – how smooth is the lead? The best colored pencil should be very smooth so that it gives you power to color and shade easily and well with regard to your likeness for perfect outcomes.
Best type of colored pencils binder
Types of binder – Manufacturers tend to use different bindings in colored pencils so that they can meet the various needs of artists. The three commonly used binders in colored pencils include: water-based, wax-based or oil-based binders. These are expounded further as follows:
- Wax-based binder; these are the commonly used colored pencils and can be found almost everywhere. They use wax which is the binding material. Also, they are fairly priced and will give you quality results. The only setbacks that these colored pencils have is that they wear and break easily.
- Oil-based binder; these are well known by people who want to layer easily and have a rich color. They use oil as their binding material and appear to be brighter. One of the advantages they have over the wax based pencils is that they last longer and don’t bloom.
- Water-based binder; these can be either wax or oil based. The only thing that makes them to be different from the two is that they have an emulsifier. The emulsifier enables the pigment to be liquefied with water which brings about a water color effect. These can be used as normal colors or liquefied.
Different colored pencils?
Range of colors – know which types of colors you want before picking any colored pencil as they come with different assortment. Also, a pack may have as little as 30 colors to over 120 colors per pack. Look at such features when selecting to make sure all your colors are included.
Ease of blending – ensure the best colored pencil you’re buying can easily blend to give you the different inspirations that you are looking for and the ideal shade and shadow. The best qualities will blend well. Consider going for these.
Breakage – see if the lead is strong or just breaks easily. Try to avoid colored pencils with soft leads that break easily after sometime. This will greatly slow you down as you carry out your art.
Best colored pencils for portraits or class work?
Role of the colors – different colored pencils are meant for different uses. Depending on the quality of image you want, expect to get different results when you use different colored pencil brands. Some colored pencils are meant for use on canvas while others on paper. Also, there are those that are great for drawing a portrait and others are meant for class work.
Ease of sharpening – consider acquiring a colored pencil that is very easy to sharpen so that you don’t end up messing the entire lead before you even start using it.
High pigment colored pencils?
Pigment quality – get a colored pencil with a high pigment quality so that when the light strikes on your work, it is still able to maintain its originality before it’s begins fading.
Best colored pencils brand
Brand reputation – the top brands may be a bit highly priced than the normal colored pencils but they are worth every penny because of their performance. Brands such as Derwent, Prismacolor, Sargent and Faber castella will offer you exceptional quality when you use them.
Best budget colored pencils?
Cost – if you want the best quality, be ready to spend some few more bucks. The best colored pencils come at a higher price but will offer you excellent outcomes. Still, you can work within your budget and find colored pencils that have the properties that you need.
Our Recommend Top 5 best colored pencil reviews
Maybe you’ve been struggling with different types of colored pencils that have given you divided results and you’ve been thinking of quitting, don’t just quit yet. Our top 5 colored pencils are what will bring you a new chapter in your career of art or just for fun. The list comprises of highly regarded colored pencils that perform outstanding for different roles. When you buy from one of these, expect outstanding results that are to be admired by many. These include:
Best prismacolor pencils review soft core 72 count
Pismacolor is one of the highly recommended colored pencil brands. It is well known for creating quality colored pencil that offers great precision in their functioning. The Prismacolor premium colored pencils soft core 72 count is one of the best. It comes with an assortment of 72 different colors that offers the user a wide range of choice. The pencils are lightfast and will ensure your art lasts longer than you can ever think of. They have a thick and robust lead that is not only easy to sharpen but gives you full control of your work. In addition, it has soft thick cores that makes shading and shadowing to be fan and easy. If you’ve been looking for a ultra-smooth and even color layering colored pencil, look no further than the prismacolor premium 72 count.
- Soft thick cores.
- Richly saturated pigments.
- Thick robust leads.
- 72 premium colored pencils.
- They have a strong and thick lead that is long lasting.
- It is ultra-smooth to give you a quality paint.
- It is lightfast and thus cannot fade easily.
- Has a great assortment of colors with its 72 pack.
- It has excellent soft thick pores that are great for shading and creating shadows.
Best colored pencils for coloring books – Prismacolor best colored pencils for adults
With over 75 years in this industry, you can as well say Prismacolor knows what the customers want. That’s why they have been one of the leading producers of quality colored pencils for over a long period of time. The Prismacolor premium colored pencils 48 count is one of the best in the market. It has a thick and robust lead that won’t break easily for longer use and easy sharpening. In addition, it has rich pigments that offer you bright colors that are very appealing to the eye. With the lightfast property, expect your work to last longer when compared to other brands of colored pencils.
Also, it has a ultra-smooth even color for simple layering and blending in order to get a desired outcome. Whatever your imaginations are put them down on paper in different colors as this pencil gives you a choice of 48 colors to pick from. Acquire this best colored pencil today for quality art in your class or just for fun.
- Thick robust leads.
- Richly saturated pigments.
- 48 premium colors.
- Soft thick cores.
- Ultra smooth even color laydown.
- They are very bright with intense pigments.
- Have a wide range of colors (48) to choose from.
- Prismacolor have smooth cores for easy blending and smooth coverage.
- Have thick robust leads that resist breaking for long use.
Best colored pencils for artists – Prismacolor scholar colored pencils review
Similar to other Prismacolor pencils on this list, the Prismacolor scholar colored pencils count of 60 is just as exceptional as the other two. Though, this one is a bit different in that it comes with a durable easel packaging for easy use and storage of the colored pencils. As sleek as they look, these colored pencils have a soft lead that blends easily to give you your desired imaginations. Also, the vivid pigments of the product offer you nice shading that lasts long enough. Furthermore, the strong cores minimize breakage as you conduct your work and they come in a pack of 60 which provides you with diverse color options. Get one of these to easily blend different colors and get your deep imaginations on the paper.
- Richly saturated pigments.
- Strong cores.
- Durable easel packaging.
- Soft leads.
- Pack of 60 colored pencils.
- Prismacolor scholar is very easy to use with the stand up easel packaging.
- It has vivid pigments and soft leads for easy blending and shading.
- It is made u of strong cores that don’t break easily.
- Comes in a pack of 60 colored pencils to offer you a wide range of selection.
Best drawing pencils – Derwent colored pencils review
Derwent brand of colored pencils cannot go unnamed if you are talking about the best colored pencils. This brand is known for creating high quality colored pencils that transform your imaginations into art. The pencil comes with a durable metal tin which is used to store the pencils after or during use. The velvety soft core ensures that you not only blend the colors but as well shade your work well. This pencil is very comfortable to hold and gives you thick soft lines suitable for various drawing styles. With these and other excellent features it offers, expect it to get a spectrum of colors.
- Velvety soft core.
- Sturdy barrel.
- 4 mm core.
- Durable metal tin.
- Pack of 36 colored pencils.
- They have a study barrel to give the user a quality grip for easy handling.
- They are made of a durable metal tin for storage.
- Have a velvety soft core for easy blending o colors and shading.
- Lightfast properties ensure your work stays for long without fading.
Best watercolor pencils – Sargent art colored pencils review
Sargent Art premium coloring pencils pack of 50 is one of the best coloring pencils an artist can have. It comes with a thick lead that measures 3.3mm and is very durable. Also, the pencil has a smooth lay down that enables the user to blend easily and obtain a shade of their choice. It comes with a wide range of colors to choose from which are all pre-sharpened and ready for use. If you want a colored pencil with exceptional color vibrancy, the Sargent Art premium pack of 50 colored pencils is the product for you.
- Thick 3.3 mm leads.
- AP certified.
- Smooth color laydown.
- Exceptional color vibrancy.
- A pack of 50 colored pencils.
- Has a wide range of color to pick from.
- It is very durable due to its strong lead.
- They are pre-sharpened and ready for use out of the pack.
- Blends smoothly and excellently with the soft core.
Figuring out which one is the best colored pencil needs a lot of patience and research. But with this review, we’ve made things to be seamless for you by providing all the information you require to know before embarking on this tricky process. There are various brands to choose from which end up confusing people on making the best choice. Some pose as the best only to use them and find that they are crap! For you to get the best colored pencil, you need to know what you intend to do with it, the type of pencil you want, quality, shape, range of colors and your budget.
Most of the top brands such as Prismacolor, Derwent, Faber castella and Sargent will give you exceptional results though they are bit pricey. If you are an artist and want only the best, pick one of these, but if it’s just for fun you can as well look for low priced or budget colored pencils.