Are you in search for the best grass seed on the market? Then you have come to the right place. Having a beautiful lawn that has even grass is something many people desire to have. But first, there is need to identify the grass seed that will be perfect for your lawn before you start jumping up. Also, it’s great to note that a variety of factors may weaken the growth of your grass such as adverse weather conditions, weeds, and other factors. Not every grass seed hat is on the market can grow anywhere as some are meant for the cooler weather while others for the warm one. In addition, some may work well on sand soil while others on another type of soil.
Thus, as you set out to search for the best grass seed on the market, set your priorities right and ensure you get the best grass seed. Also, identify tools to use when spread the seed and apply fertilizer to boost growth. The right mower should be applied during cutting so that your lawn doesn’t remain with spots that are badly cut. All these factors when highly regarded will lead to an excellent and beautiful lawn. This article has all the data that you need to discover the best grass seed for your lawn.
Not all grass seed will grow excellent in any place. Here are the different types of grass seeds categorized in two:
Cool season grass seed
When we speak about cooler season grass seed, these are the kinds of grass seeds that grow well in cooler weather but can as well put up with heat. They develop excellent in the fall of spring, and also during winters for places in the south. Apart from very cold winters, cooler season grass seeds will grow under snow to some extent. At the fall of winter, cooler season grass seed grows well before the fall of the harsh winter period. These are as follows:
- Perennial rye grass – this is a very famous cooler weather grass. It provides cover in high traffic places, which makes it very famous in areas such as northern golf courses.
- Kentucky bluegrass – this grass is very popular as a result of its attractive appearance and general all round tolerance to various growing conditions.
- Tall fescue – if you are searching for a drought and heat resistant cooler season grass, then this is the best choice for you. This grass seed makes it suitable for warmer climates.
Warm season grass seed
This kind of grass performs great in the worst heat of summer and tends to be very drought resistant. For people who undergo extended periods when their lawn is brown and dry during summer, you may want to consider planting a warm season grass seed. Some of the popular warm grass seeds include;
- Bermuda grass – this is the most popular grass on the market. It is extremely durable and needs no maintenance and tolerates dry conditions very excellent. Such attributes makes it ideal for south golf courses and lawns.
- St Augustine grass – this is not a wear-tolerant as other types of warm season grasses. It has humid resistant attributes in humid areas of the South and Gulf states that is second to none. This grass doesn’t tolerate cool temperatures.
- Buffalo grass – this grass originates from Mississippi. The native turf grass is a fine, curly leaf and can be seen in various semi-arid areas of Texas and the Southwest.
- Zoysia grass – this is a low maintenance grass that builds a dense growth. This makes it to be famous for golf courses and homeowners who like lawns that need little care.
- Centipede grass – this is a type of grass that originates from Southeast Asia and is a low maintenance turf grass. It develops slowly and just needs a few mowing sessions and little fertilizer inputs at the time of growing.
- Bahia grass – this one originates from Brazil. Bahia performs excellent in sandy soils and is a wonderful low maintenance turf grass. It needs minimal watering and fertilizer but does not grow the thick, rich appearance of high maintenance grass.
Tools for spreading grass seed
When you’re ready to plant your grass seed, there are some tools and equipments that you should know about as they may prove to be helpful when it comes to planting the grass seed.
- Handheld spreaders – these are desirable for seeding smaller lawns or alternatively for reseeding of places that are thin as a result of high traffic, shade or some other issues. Apart from spreading of seeds, they can as well spread fertilizers, and deicer.
- Broadcast spreaders – these are great in spreading grass seed over a large lawn. They can be pushed by hand or towed using a lawn tractor. Pick one that is adjustable, built well and have a rust and clog proof spreading system.
- Drop spreaders – these are excellent in performance in that they spread grass seed where you only want them to. This helps you avoid spreading grass seed where you don’t want them to.
- Pull behind spreaders – these are usually attached to the lawn tractor or ATV and spreads a lot of seed very fast, needing very little amount of effort to operate. The challenge with this type of spreading is that accessing tight areas may be a huge challenge.
What is the right time to plant grass seed?
If you want your lawn to be made up of vibrant and neatly arranged grass, you will have to plant the grass seen at the right time. Experts say that the ideal time to plant grass seed is during cool season when the temperatures are between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The most crucial stage of plant life is during the seed stage. Thus, planting the seed during the cool season gives it a better chance of survival, more that it takes approximately 60 days for the roots to develop. The moment the roots are fully developed, the immune system of the grass begins so that it can battle drought, diseases, and pests.
Is it recommended to fertilize new grass seed or not?
New grass can be supported by speeding up growth through use of fertilizer. If you want to fertilize new grass seed, you can use slow release fertilizer. But when the grass has grown, you can then use fast release fertilizer. Fast release fertilizer is applied when the roots of the grass have stabilized and just need boosting to grow faster. Alternatively, slow release fertilizer is applied on the grass seed so that it can aid in growth of roots. Therefore, fast release fertilizer can be applied when the grass has developed while slow release fertilizer is used to promote germination of the seed and to stabilize it.
Which one is the best soil for planting grass seed?
For the grass seed to grow well and fast, you need to plant it in the right soil. If you live in an area with sand soil, there are types of grass seed that will still grow but not as good as in loam soil. Prepare the soil before planting the grass seed. The soil should be loose, dark and have organic matter in it for nourishment of the grass seed. A good soil is one that holds moisture and at the same time drains very excellently. If you doubt your soil, you can buy one from greenhouses and apply it on your lawn prior to planting.
At what time will grass start to grow?
After buying the grass type you have been yearning for, one looks forward to seeing the grass grow on their lawn. This is because a lot of cash and time is spent to ensuring your lawn looks beautiful. When you have done all that is needed from acquiring the ideal seed, planting the seed at the right moment and offering it the vital nutrients that it needs to grow and offering it with the much needed protection from weeds, and other things, then it should sprout within a week. In some situations, it may take longer as a result of the climate.
How should I mow the new grass?
The moment you finish planting, your grass will start to grow and after sometime you will need to mow the grass. Before you cut the grass, ensure it has reached 3 inches tall and it is really thick. The mow you are using to cut the grass should have very sharp blades so that it can cut the grass precisely and evenly. A blunt blade may tear the grass instead of cutting it well. Also, never cut beyond a third of the grass height as this might make it difficult to recover or bring about damaged spots in the lawn. In case the grass is extremely tall, you can cut it on different occasion until you get the most appropriate size.
Our Recommend Top 5 best grass seed reviews
One of the trickiest things when choosing grass seed is not knowing which grass is suitable for your climate and lawn. So, before you embark on this journey, you should know your climate and kind of grass seed you would prefer. There are a variety of grass seeds and you will have to pick one that suits well with your environment. We conducted a thorough research and came up with a list of the 5 best grass seeds as follows:
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed
The Scotts Turf Builder grass seed is a very popular brand hat many people love to plant in their lawn. This is because this grass seed grows quicker and very thick making it ideal for home lawns. It comes with a feed that jumpstarts growth. The seed spreads quickly to repair thin and bare spots that may appear on your lawn. When you buy this grass seed, you don’t have to worry about diseases as it is protected from them.
- Feeds to jumpstart growth
- Protects against diseases
- Watersmart plus coating absorbs two times more water
- 3 pound
- This grass seed spreads quickly to repair thin and bare spots
- It supports greener grass that grows very fast
- Remains green even in very hot climates
- The feeds come with essential nutrients and protects seedlings from the disease
Jonathan Green 10820 Fast Grow Grass Seed
Jonathan Green is one of the best and notable grass seed brands. This grass seed germinates within 14 days and that’s why many people prefer it. It provides a hardy turf even in shady or sunny areas. It is the perfect mixture of a seed mixture or faster growth. So, whether it’s growing on your lawn or filling thin areas, this seed grass works great.
- Germinate in 14 days
- Provides a hardy turf
- 3 pounds
- Perfect seed mixture
- 3lb size
- It can be applied in sun and shade areas
- It germinates quickly
- The grass seed grows at a quicker rate
- It suitable for people who want a quick growing grass seed
Zenith Zoysia Grass Seed
The Zenith Zoysia grass seed is another excellent brand for people looking for a dense, dark and lovely lawn in their homestead. The grass can grown in both shady places and sunny areas as it’s tolerate to very cold or very hot conditions. With just the 2 lb bag, one can cover over 2000 sq ft of a lawn. This grass seed is suitable to grow after spring when the danger of the last spring frost is over.
- 100% pure seed
- Can be planted in sun or shade areas
- 2lb bag
- Covers up to 2000 sq ft
- The seed grass can be grown in both shady and sunny areas as its tolerant to extreme cold and heat conditions
- It can cover over 2000 sq ft which is just excellent for a 2lb bag.
- The grass seed makes a dense, dark green and beautiful lawn that will be admired by many
- It is made of 100% pure seed which grow quickly
Pennington Smart Seed
For a dense and faster growing lawn, the Pennington Smart grass seed is the most ideal to grow. It is a 7 pound bag that uses less water year after year. This smart seed grows quickly and suitable for those in need of a quicker lawn. It comes with a variety of seeds which develop well in different climates.
- 30% less water
- Comprises of improved seed varieties
- 7 pound
- Establishes quickly
- Provides a dense shade
- It has seed mixes which makes it suitable for growth in different areas with different climates
- It grows quickly and suitable for individuals who yearn for a greener lawn
- Provides a dense shade that will make your lawn look very attractive
- Creates a fine-bladed, lower maintenance lawn.
Scotts Turf Builder Quick Fix Mix
Scotts Turf Builder is a well-known brand that offers some of the best grass seeds. This one is 99.9% weed free which means that maintaining it is easy. In addition, it provides ground cover and controls erosion. With just a 3 pound bag, cover up to 750 sq ft of your lawn.
- Covers up to 750 sq ft
- 9% weed free
- Offers ground cover and erosion control
- 3 pounds
- Quick temporary repair for bare spots
- It grows quickly and suitable for temporary repair for bare spots
- Excellent in giving ground cover and erosion control
- It doesn’t has any weeds making it easy to maintain
To have a vibrant and attractive lawn that every neighbor pops eyes into is no easy thing. To begin with, you’ve to identify the best type of grass seed to plant as they differ. Also, you will require adding fertilizer, spreading it and using the right mowers to excellently maintain the grass. With the different types of grass seeds to choose from, know which one will do best in your lawn and climate. Don’t rush to acquire grass seed before going through various reviews of previous buyers or users. We have made your work easier by compiling all the necessary information about grass seed. Hopefully, you have found the information on this site very helpful and has influenced how you will make your net choice.