With so many types of protein powders on the market, choose one that you are comfortable with and start losing weight without losing muscle mass. The tricky part of using other weight strategies is that as you lose weight you also lose your muscle mass. Protein powders don’t work that way as they help you reduce weight as they build on the muscles. Also, protein shakes are available in different forms such as dairy and plan based. If you are a vegan, it’s advisable that you stick to plant based proteins.
Before you incorporate the protein shake of your choice in your diet, also know the ingredients that it ahs and the benefits you stand to get when using it. Protein powders vary in price, quality and ingredients in them. Ensure you pick one that has the components that you need. Some are flavored and the smell matters to. In this article, we are going to discuss about the different types of proteins powders and how they help you lose weight.
The different types of protein powder
As you go looking for the protein powder for your weight loss program, you should know that there are different types to choose from as follows:
- Whey protein – this is dairy-based. It is also quickly absorbed and has all the essential amino acids.
- Soy protein – this is a plant-based proteins and good for vegans. It contains all the essential amino acids. In addition, it ahs soy isoflavones, which might provide health benefits.
- Casein protein – it is dairy-based and slowly absorbed in the body. Also, it has all the essential amino acids.
- Rice protein – it is plant-based and low in essential amino acid lysine.
- Pea protein – it is plant-based and low in the non-essential amino acids methionine and cystine.
- Hemp protein – it is plant-based and very high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, but it is also low in the essential amino acid lysine.
Summary of Contents
- 1 The different types of protein powder
- 2 Ways through which protein powder helps you lose weight
- 3 What is the best time to take protein powder?
- 4 Things to consider when choosing protein powder
- 5 How to pick the best protein powder
- 6 Which type of protein is the best?
- 7 Protein powder dosage and Side effects
Ways through which protein powder helps you lose weight
Several studies have discovered that taking protein powder can help you to put on lean muscle as you lose fat and weight. Below are the various ways through which protein powder assists a person to shade off some weight.
They lower hunger and appetite
Protein can help to decrease hunger and appetite in two different ways. This is through increasing levels of appetite-reducing hormones such as CCK, GLP-1 and PYY, while at the same time lowering levels of the hunger hormone gherlin. The second way of lowering hunger and appetite is by making a person feel full for a longer period of time. In one of the research, a person who takes high protein breakfast ended up consuming less the rest of the day when compared to individuals who didn’t. In another study, a guy on a weight loss program increased their protein in-take which led to them reducing on food cravings by a greater margin. Thus, adding the protein to your diet will help you shade off some weight, but avoid overusing them as they may cause weight gain.
They assist you shade off weight and belly fat
Various experts have proved that taking proteins can help to shade off some fat, more so on the belly area. A study was conducted and discovered that people who consumed 25% proteins more than others reduced much weight when compared to those who consumed less. Such studies have proven over and over again that individuals who include a lot of proteins in their diet tend to stay fuller for long and end up losing more weight. So, if you are on a weight loss plan, you can incorporate one of the protein powders in your breakfast and other meals to help you feel full and have less food cravings as you shade off weight.
They may heighten metabolism
Consuming a lot of proteins can boost your metabolism and in turn assisting you burn slightly more calories every day. This is correct because a high protein diet that is combined with rigorous workout may assist you put on muscles. This will then speed your metabolism because muscle burns more calories than fat. In one of the studies, a specialist gave 3 individuals protein powder and the other 3 weren’t given. After 6 weeks, those who were on a protein powder diet had increased muscles. This shows that protein helps to build muscles as one losses weight. Thus, taking one of the protein powders and incorporating them in your diet will help you reduce weight but gain muscles.
They prevent weight increase after losing some weight
Weight loss isn’t easy. Sometimes, you may shade off some pounds only to check again and find you have more weight. This is very frustrating and devastating. It can make a person want to give up. But when you consume a lot of proteins, you won’t undergo such an experience as it has an effect on metabolism, appetite and muscle mass. A study discovered that individuals on protein diet lost a lot of weight but maintained their outcomes better than those on other diets. In addition, participants who were given protein powder felt full for longer and regained less weight after 6 months.
They prevent muscle loss and slow down metabolism
When you lose weight, you also lose on muscle. This can in turn slow down your metabolism. The moment you go off diet, you can regain weight very easily. For you to effectively prevent muscle loss, you can combine both a high protein intake and rigorous training throughout. Not only will you lose weight, but also your muscles will stay strong and the metabolic rate will slowdown too. So, when you eat a lot of proteins as you carry out exercises, you will be able to shade off weight but maintain your muscle mass.
What is the best time to take protein powder?
Several studies have their own suggestions on when a person on a weight loss program should take proteins. Here is our take:
In one of the studies, an expert recommends taking proteins before you leave for work or the office in the morning. Take it as your breakfast by adding the protein powder to vegetables, fruits and add some healthy fats to the breakfast. This will make you feel full for longer and you won’t experience food cravings during the day.
Another way to fully utilize proteins in your meal is after a workout. Workouts can drain a person and leave them feeling exhausted. Carrying a milk shake with you to take after a workout can be a great thing. Taking proteins after a post-workout has indicated to be extremely beneficial. This is because it helps people recover after an intense workout, increase muscle and offer strength too.
Things to consider when choosing protein powder
There are a lot of things to consider when you want to choose a protein powder to consume for your weight loss plan. Here are some things to note:
What is the most ideal protein powder for weight loss
First and foremost, almost all protein powders offer the same gains but have just some few variations. There is nothing as the best protein powder. For instance, almost all whey proteins have the same ingredients even though he brand might differ. Choose a protein powder that you are comfortable with and not because it’s costly or advertised as the best. Don’t be blinded by the marketers who use phrases like “protein for quick weight loss”. We all know the protein just plays a small role in the weight loss process and it can’t function alone.
Cheaper usually tends to be better
Don’t rush to buy the expensive brands as they may not be the best. In most cases, the expensive brands are sold that way because they have flavors added I them making them to be more costly. Also, rushing to acquire protein powder from a famous brand will cost you more due to its high demand. Simply buy from a brand that sells quality products with same features as the quality ones. But avoid buying fake products as you won’t get what you want in the end.
Stick to the simple protein powders
Most of the famous brands are costly because they have other ingredients and flavors included in them. These ingredients may not be very useful and sticking to the simple protein powder will do you more good than bad. All you have to do is to check and see whether they have all the ingredients needed. Usually, one or two ingredients are included in the protein powder. Other ingredients that are normally added include; vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. This is great but not necessary.
Go for what you like
The best way to enjoy the protein powder in whatever meal you decide to add it is by selecting what you like. There are different types of proteins and choosing one that has what you need is crucial. For instance, vegans cannot use whey or casein proteins, but they can choose from soy, pea and hemp proteins. Also, most of them have varying ingredients from which a person can made their decision from. Make a wise decision and select the one that will help you feel full and cut weight accordingly.
There are various protein recipes to choose from
There are various ways through which a person can utilize protein powder. Recipes like mixing it with frozen berries, frozen banana, a cup of milk, natural peanut butter, and a handful of spinach, among other foods. Use it as you wish as long as you include it in your diet. This can work effective when consumed in the morning so that you don’t feel food cravings during the day.
How to pick the best protein powder
Protein powders are not regulated by the food and drug administration. So, it’s important to carefully read the ingredient label and ensure the brand you select does not has supplements, artificial sweeteners, additional calories from carbs or preservatives. Also, the type that you pick will rely on some of the factors we have discussed above and its taste too. Don’t base your choice on the price as it may not reflect on the quality of the protein powder but the ingredients or flavors added in it.
Which type of protein is the best?
- Whey protein – this is one of the most common and cheapest protein powders on the market. It can be found with much ease, at any supplement retailer and in few grocery stores. It comprises of minerals and vitamins used by athletes as a post-workout diet. It helps to repair muscles, increase muscle strength and make a person t be re-energized.
- Soy protein – this is a good choice for a good number of vegetarians. It comprises of all the essential amino acids. When it comes to stimulating muscle growth, it is compared to whey protein. It also helps to support muscle growth after a rigorous workout. In addition, soy nutrients like isoflavors and organic compounds help to lower the danger of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- Casein protein – this is more or less the same like whey protein. It is also derived from dairy and directly from the milk. The only difference to whey protein is that it digests slowly as a result of the complex interaction with stomach acids. This makes it a great supplement in scenarios where slow release of nutrients is much appreciated.
- Pea protein – this is one of the best protein powder to take especially for individuals who are lactose intolerant. Pea is a plant based protein that is made from yellow peas and towers. To begin with, pea protein is naturally fat and cholesterol free. Also, it is totally gluten free, which can in turn assist people avoid gastric distress when supplementing frequently.
- Rice protein – this is a 100 percent based plant protein. Although a bowl of rice cannot help you cut weight as needed, a rice protein can. In a study, a discovery was made pointing out that rice protein offered the same benefits as whey protein. In addition, rice protein is gluten free, thus suitable to consume by people who are allergic to gluten.
- Hemp protein – finally, we conclude our list with hemp protein. Hemp seeds are considered to be superfood as a result of their high content in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Similar to rice and peas, hemp protein is 100 percent plant based and highly digestible.
Protein powder dosage and Side effects
Even though protein powder is good for consumption, the right amount should be taken so that it doesn’t lead to excess weight. For starters, one shake per should be okay with them. The best time to take the protein powder is before or in the meal itself. Simply add 2 scoops of the powder to the meal you are preparing for its great benefits. Some of the ways of making the protein shake to be tastier is by mixing it in water, ice or a piece of fruit in a blender.
Despite its various benefits, protein powder has some side effects that a person ought to learn about. These include; gas, bloating, cramps, and diarrhea. These may take place if you are lactose tolerant and taking protein shakes made with whey or casein. Such signs can be handled by taking a protein shake that isn’t made from dairy, such as soy, hemp and pea. But generally, the protein powder can be a great addition to your weight loss program without losing much or any of your muscle mass.
Losing weight is not an easy thing as person has to stick to a strict diet and carry out exercises. This may in turn lead to weight loss as well as muscle loss. The inclusion of a protein in your diet will help a lot as it not only assist you also weight but as well put on muscle loss. There are different types of protein shakes to choose from and identifying one that suits your needs is important. The most common protein powders are whey, soy, casein and pea. If you are a vegan, you should pick either soy or pea protein. Incorporate the protein in your diet to fully benefit from it. This can be before meals or after a workout.